Mar 5, 2012

A tale of two lamps

Hey everyone! Sorry I've been a little MIA lately...I've been real busy with work, so unfortunately many of my projects have gotten pushed to the back burner. I'm getting a little antsy about it, but trying to focus on getting my work done so I can get back to projects!

So, I was shopping at Lowe's the other day and spotted something that made me giddy. Do you ever have moments like those, where you're just looking for light bulbs or dish soap, an decide to venture down another aisle, and then all of the sudden you find something that you just have to have because it's so perfect? Usually I end like stopping in my tracks because my brain needs to process it. "OMG, is that...is that...yes! It's the perfect thing I've always wanted!" I want to run over and grab it and jump up and down, but I realize I'll look like a total moron, so I just kind of sidle up to it real slow, like I don't really care that much, I'm just browsing, no biggie. Like I don't want to just hug it and rub it all over my face because I'm so in love with it. C'mon, you know what I mean...right?? :)

So much anticipation to what I actually spotted...are you just dying?! Okay, here it is!


A lamp! Is that kind of a let down? I hope not. I got so excited because it reminded me of the inspiration lamp for my office redo, the Robert Abbey gourd lamp.


But the Lowe's lamp was only a fraction of the price -- just $25! The shade was another $14.

I didn't buy it right away, though, because I already had a lamp for the office, a lamp that used to be red that I spray painted turquoise. I didn't really need this perfectly perfect Lowe's lamp. I liked my turquoise lamp.


But, I couldn't stop thinking about it. I had to see what it would look like, so I bought it.

I'm not gonna lie, it was hard to pick between the turquoise one and the Lowe's one. In the end, I just totally loved the shape of the Lowe's lamp. Plus, despite my best spray painting efforts, the turquoise lamp didn't have the glossy finish I really wanted. Next to the Lowe's lamp, it was looking a little -- dare I say? -- DIY'ed.


You can see I still haven't taken the lamp out of the packaging, because I'm feeling kind of guilty, like I'm cheating on turquoise lamp. Of course, there's no reason I can't spray paint it again and use it in a different room. I say this, knowing it will probably end up in a closet somewhere. Shh, don't tell my husband! :)

I'm chugging along on this office...I really hope to have more to show you soon!

Oh, and I also had another "OMG it's perfect" moment at the antique store. More on that soon!

No comments: