Feb 17, 2011

A simple centerpiece

Months ago, I saw Sabrina Soto on HGTV's Get It Sold make a beautiful centerpiece by wrapping plain glass pillar candle holders in gauzy fabric, and I loved the idea. Then, a couple months later, I started reading Thrifty Decor Chick's blog and saw she had done the same thing, with gorgeous results. I took it as a sign from the universe that I needed to give it a try too.

I bought a few various sized candle holders from Michaels and broke out a few votive holder left over from my wedding. I searched around for a little while for the right tray to arrange them on, and finally lucked out with this pretty mirrored tray from Target. (Here's a similar one.)

By this point, it was Christmastime, so I held off with the fabric and instead wrapped the candle holders in red and gold ribbon, and added some mini silver ornaments.


Once the holidays were over, I swapped the ribbon for some white gauzy fabric from Joann, using hot glue to adhere it. I soon found out that the fabric I had chosen was a little too stretchy for the project, and I had a hard time getting it flat around the glassware. I also realized that it was prone to fraying around the cut edges (and I still haven't figured out how to fix that! For now, I'm ignoring it...).

Here's what it looks like in the daytime.


But it really shines at night!


I added some of my cork collection for some warmth and texture.


I like how the mirrored tray reflects the candle light. So romantic!

What do you think? Pretty, right?  Any ideas for taming those frays? I'd love to hear them!

See Sarah @ TDC's version here.

See how we finished that dining room table ourselves.

Like Heart Maine Home on Facebook! 

No comments: